There was a similar discussion in March, "merging editions", which you
can read back here [1].

At least, I think it is, as the terms "work" and "edition" in this
thread seem to be mixed up some times ;)

An Open Library Work (generally) keeps all editions of a creative work
(different formats, years of publication, revisions, publishers,
languages etc.) together. When a book is a collection of
stories/creative works, that's a different OL Work.

Except for the OL Editions that are exactly the same (and do not all
have a scanned version attached, see recent discussion "multivolume
works" [2]), I think you mean that you want to merge Works instead of
Editions. As far as I know, only Works have been merged by bots, and
the bots don't do that automatically. The [1] discussion ended with
Anand saying no mergebot was running.

I would like a possibility for merging works manually too, similar to
the author merge functionality. J.K. Rowling's page could use a little
cleaning up [3] :)

The only way to get Editions merged, I guess, is to update the 'best'
Edition and report a problem (using the link at the bottom of the
page) for the others, saying why they should be merged with the
Edition you updated. I don't know if the support will be happy
though...

Ben

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/ol-discuss@archive.org/msg00624.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/ol-discuss@archive.org/msg00632.html