On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Tom Morris <tfmor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your yeoman like efforts! -- particularly as an unpaid
> volunteer (like pretty much all of us).
>
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM, jessamyn c. west <jessa...@gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>

>> > One thing that comes to mind seeing the list of topics: perhaps a tiny
>> > bit more clarification of what each category is for could be useful.
>>
>> Well one of the short-term projects (as in, something that is in
>> process to the best of my knowledge) is clarifying some of the Contact
>> Form options. That is, you are correct, since there isn't a way to
>> purchase books or contact authors via OL it really shouldn't be
>> something that we imply that people can do there. We have a form
>> letter reply email that we send to people letting them know, but I
>> think in terms of setting expectations I agree completely. The thought
>> is to remove those two options and maybe try to break down the large
>> number of "Other" responses into a few more chooseable options.
>> However, getting changes made is somewhat like playing a game of
>> telephone. Having admin rights on OL doesn't translate into being able
>> to edit pages like the contact form. So, yes, totally agree!
>>

> If there's an agreed plan of action, I'm happy to implement it and send
> Anand a pull request which may help accelerate the process.  Has this been
> discussed with whoever is the decision maker in the magically opaque
> OpenLibrary organization?

Jessamyn replied [copied from the other thread to keep the conversation in
one place]:

>I kick stuff "upstairs" to Jeff Kaplan the QA/Support guy when there
>are clear-cut things that need fixing. He then, I think, talks to
>Anand, but yes things get fixed in a magical style, even for me. I
>don't know what a "pull request" is, could you clarify?

Basically I make the changes to my copy of the OpenLibrary software and
then send them to Anand in a way that he can merge them in with a single
click if they look OK to him.  It saves him the trouble of having to make
the changes, but still gives him control over what actually gets included.

Here's what the pull request for the change we discussed looks like:
https://github.com/internetarchive/openlibrary/pull/194
Anand has already merged the change, so it'll show up in the next deploy.

I'll send a screenshot in a separate message. I had one attached here, but
it caused the message to be too big and get held for moderation (which I'm
not sure ever happens).

I guess the only other question is whether we should delete the "Borrowing
books" category at the same time.  Are there questions there that people
can ask which aren't already covered by the FAQ?