Tim,

Thanks for your interest and work on OL. I can try to explain the
principle behind the treatment of translations.

First, it comes from formal library practices. Second, not all of the
inputs to OL follow those practices. So there is a theory that is not
always used in the practice.

The principle is that the Work record in OL should represent the
ORIGINAL work, with the title in the language of that original. The
original and all translations should be linked to this Work record.

To help bring translations together, you need to put the title of the
original in the upper Title box in the editing page. The title of the
translation then goes into the Title box under "This edition". I did
this change on this record:

http://openlibrary.org/works/OL1260869W/Rivage_des_Syrtes

You can do a compare between the previous version and this version to
see what I mean.

Unfortunately, I do not know how long it takes before the newly edited
record merges with the correct Work record. It does not happen instantly.

I would like to see more information added to the editing pages, perhaps
as a small "?" icon near each field that can provide this kind of
information. Meanwhile, I will add this explanation to the help page if
I can.

kc

On 9/4/13 3:24 PM, Timothée Flutre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just discovered the existence of openlibrary.org
> <http://openlibrary.org> and like the project very much. So I started to
> contribute but don't know what to do with translations (see an example
> at the end of the email) and didn't find any info in the "help" section
> of the website.
>
> 1) "Should" there be one page per book, with all editions, in the
> original language or not, listed on the same page? I think this is
> preferable as it is more practical when searching the library.
>
> 2) But then "should" the title of the "work" always be in English, even
> if originally it was not written in this language? Here again I am in
> favour of the title of the "work" being in English, but obviously the
> title of each "edition" should be in its original language.
>
> 3) Finally, "should" then the title of each "edition" be written also in
> its original script (for instance in cyrillic)? Does the current code
> allow that? Here I don't have any strong opinion.
>
> Best,
>
> Tim
>
> ps: see for instance the page "Rivage des Syrtes"
> (http://openlibrary.org/works/OL1260908W/Rivage_des_Syrtes) which only
> lists two English translations whereas there exists another page, "Le
> rivage des syrtes", which only lists four French editions.

Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234