Sorry, I forgot to answer question 3 - If you have the capability to
include the title using the appropriate script, please do. OL is
Unicode-compliant. Many records will use latin characters for titles and
authors, and these are often from data that pre-dates Unicode, but they
are also useful for searches being done from a standard keyboard.

The edit screen does not appear to allow one to input additional titles,
although I don't think that the metadata format would have a problem
with that. I will add this as a suggestion: add a field for "additional
titles" -- this would be useful for many books whose titles can have
variations.

kc

On 9/4/13 3:24 PM, Timothée Flutre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just discovered the existence of openlibrary.org
> <http://openlibrary.org> and like the project very much. So I started to
> contribute but don't know what to do with translations (see an example
> at the end of the email) and didn't find any info in the "help" section
> of the website.
>
> 1) "Should" there be one page per book, with all editions, in the
> original language or not, listed on the same page? I think this is
> preferable as it is more practical when searching the library.
>
> 2) But then "should" the title of the "work" always be in English, even
> if originally it was not written in this language? Here again I am in
> favour of the title of the "work" being in English, but obviously the
> title of each "edition" should be in its original language.
>
> 3) Finally, "should" then the title of each "edition" be written also in
> its original script (for instance in cyrillic)? Does the current code
> allow that? Here I don't have any strong opinion.
>
> Best,
>
> Tim
>
> ps: see for instance the page "Rivage des Syrtes"
> (http://openlibrary.org/works/OL1260908W/Rivage_des_Syrtes) which only
> lists two English translations whereas there exists another page, "Le
> rivage des syrtes", which only lists four French editions.

Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234