Thanks for the quick reply, Jon.  It really needs to be something which
doesn't require borrowing, because, as far as I know, the source for those
will always be unavailable.

For this example, the directory of files is:
https://archive.org/download/billgalactichero00harr
and the OCR text (what I call the "source") is:
https://archive.org/download/billgalactichero00harr/billgalactichero00harr_abbyy.gz
which gives a permission violation when you attempt to download it.
Ditto with the epub:
https://archive.org/download/billgalactichero00harr/billgalactichero00harr.epub

I really need a test case that is publicly accessible.  Of course, they IA
staff has access to everything, so they could fix the bug themselves, but
for a community contributed fix we'll need a public test case to have much
hope of finding it.  Also, any patterns that you've noticed about when
pages are missing and when they're not would be helpful.

Tom