I revisited this to see if anything had been done to make use of
Tom's fix in the last 7 months since he contributed it. As best I can
tell the answer is that the fix has been ignored. Of 15 ePubs I borrowed
to check:

  - 9 had the missing-pages corruption problem for which Tom's fix
    should be applied
  - 3 had some other sort of corruption that caused ADE to crash
    reliably with a null pointer exception (n.b. I'm using an old
    version of ADE in order to be able to run it under Wine, not being a
    Windows user, so this is not *neccessarily* OL's doing)
  - 3 were borrowable and appeared to have all the pages.

    Therefore only about 20% of the ePub database is usable, at least of
the sort of books I read.

    Jon