On 04/20/2017 09:46 AM, Ed Warnicke wrote:
> Josef,
>
> I couldn't agree more.  Typically 'discuss' in most communities is for
> 'cross project' discussion.  Project specific converstions tend to happen on
> ${project}-dev mailers (think dcae-dev, sdnc-dev, etc).   For this to
> work, one needs projects.  Projects *need* their own space to hold
> publicly visible conversations.
>
> I would strongly recommend *against* a single list in the long term.  It
> becomes overwhelming, and it strongly discourages folks sending email
> because the room is so big.

Our largest communities have major cross-posting problems along with new
people regularly informing us that they don't know where to send things
because of having too many lists. As such, I can't express how strongly
I recommend only breaking out a specific topic to a separate list _iff_
it proves to cause too much traffic on the general list.

As Aimee pointed out OpenStack, which is a community larger than our
largest community, doesn't do what you're talking about. They use topics
on their lists precisely to get around the mailing list explosion of a
list per project that you're suggesting.

-Andy-

--
Andrew J Grimberg
Lead, IT Release Engineering