From: onap-discuss-bounces at lists.onap.org
[mailto:onap-discuss-boun...@lists.onap.org] On Behalf Of SULLIVAN, BRYAN L
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:38 AM
To: Ed Warnicke; Andrew Grimberg
Cc: onap-discuss
Subject: Re: [onap-discuss] Proposal for list split of onap-discuss

The flip side (just to be considered in the supporting infra) is that it?s not
hard for projects to become disconnected when segregated. Needing/managing many
project email list subscriptions inhibits the ability to easily keep an
overview of how things are progressing across projects. Of course at some
point, the firehose becomes unmanageable and the demands of focus require
segregation.

But some infra support can address the limitations of project-specific lists:

?auto-subscribe to all? option for those who want it.

-          Mail archive system that supports an effective search, e.g. the W3C
system: https://www.w3.org/Search/Mail/Public/

o   Mailman is woefully inadequate for this. Some services exist that could
possibly be used for this, e.g. http://openstack.markmail.org/search/?q= works
well for me, for OpenStack in general.

o   Note that you can also just subscribe using some email service ala Gmail or
Hotmail, that provides a search feature that works for you. That can completely
solve your corporate inbox issue, given that you?re allowed to use
non-corporate email services for open source work.

If we want to create project-specific lists, I recommend that the LF work on
the two supporting infra capabilities above, or include workarounds such as
above in developer intros/FAQs.

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan | AT&T