That makes sense given that staging artifacts were supposed to exist only long
enough to decide whether they're good to release or not; they were not meant to
be used as long-lived build dependencies.

I think the right thing to do is to move away from this "build against staging"
approach relatively soon.  Given that our formal 1st release is November, and
assuming that the release artifact version will be "1.0.0", I see two options:

1. Do not release any thing from staging right now.  Change all artifact
versions to 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.

2.  For the subset of artifacts that need to be "locked down", actually release
the staging candidates right now as 1.0.0-RC0 or some such.  Then change all
artifact versions to 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT, except explicit dependencies on the
released 1.0.0-RC0 artifacts where desired.

Any other ideas?

Do we have a full list of the artifacts that explicitly need to be served up
from staging repos right now?  I'm hoping this list is relatively short.

Thanks,
Gary