From: onap-discuss-boun...@lists.onap.org
[mailto:onap-discuss-boun...@lists.onap.org] On Behalf Of Gary Wu
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:05 PM
To: SPATSCHECK, OLIVER <spat...@research.att.com>
Cc: onap-discuss@lists.onap.org
Subject: Re: [onap-discuss] Staging repo in settings.xml

Hi Oliver,

There are definitely disadvantages to keeping all versions in sync, as you
mentioned.

I think the main issue to decide on is this: To what degree will the ONAP
community support a mix of different versions of different modules?

If each module is independently versioned, then which specific version
combinations will ONAP officially support for each ONAP release?

* If we only support one canonical combination, then we might as well keep all
versions in sync.

* If we support arbitrary version combinations, then the number of possible
combinations becomes astronomical.

* Or maybe it's somewhere between the two, i.e. keep a small list of specific,
supported version combinations, maybe corresponding to a few critical fixes
only.

Any bug fix or version bump in any module has the potential to introduce a
breaking change against some specific versions of another module, or even
breaking compatibility with a VNF that had been certified against a particular
"base release" of ONAP.  How should we address such issues?  How should we
respond to people who are using a version combination that is not officially
supported?

I can see pros and cons to either approach (sync all versions or not), which is
why the TSC probably needs to weigh in on this.

Thanks,

Gary