MN MANO SOAM 1 R&D WRO 7 (ONAP)
West Gate (Lotnicza 12, 54-155 Wrocław, Poland)
mobile: +48 734 103 812

On 02/23/2018 12:26 AM, Yunxia Chen wrote:

Hi, Piotr,

Why will this create issue if it has issue when no internet or behind corporate firewall? Please help to clarify it. Those tools are used for debugging, especially if you don’t have internet to outside, you cannot get them using “apt-get” to install them when you need them.

Regards,

Helen Chen

*From: *<onap-discuss-boun...@lists.onap.org> on behalf of "Bochenski, Piotr (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw)" <piotr.bochen...@nokia.com>
*Date: *Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 3:49 AM
*To: *Kang Xi <kang...@huawei.com>, "PLATANIA, MARCO (MARCO)" <plata...@research.att.com>, "FREEMAN, BRIAN D" <bf1...@att.com>
*Cc: *onap-discuss <onap-discuss@lists.onap.org>
*Subject: *Re: [onap-discuss] [integration] INT-261: Add standard utilities to all dockers (vim, ping, nslookup)

Hi,

In my opinion it's not a good idea to install anything at runtime - for example, this causes troubles on environments that are cut off the internet or behind massive corporate firewalls (like the one that my team uses).

For proper solution I would recommend something like this:
* We create 2 ONAP "base" images - one for production and another one for development and testing (with mentioned tools included)
* We switch the base image during the build

This would require additional work, but will result in much "cleaner" solution :)

What do you think?

Best Regards / Pozdrawiam
Piotr Bocheński
Software Development Engineer