On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Alexandro Colorado <j...@openoffice.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Jean Hollis Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Sam,
>>
>> To make sure I understand your answer to Rob, could you please clarify
>> for me:
>>
>> What about user-oriented documentation (user guides, tutorials, etc, as
>> listed by Rob)?
>>
>> Or was that covered by your answer at the bottom of your note, about
>> making a concrete proposal for presentation to legal-discuss? I couldn't
>> tell if that applied only to things for inclusion in an official release
>> (Rob's item 2), or if it applied also to things not included in a
>> release but provided on the AOOo website or wiki (Rob's item 1).
>>
>> I am asking, of course, because the independent ODFAuthors group, which
>> has been producing the OOo user guides, would like to continue doing do
>> for AOOo, while remaining independent.
>>

> Sorry for jumping in but it seems there is an missunderstading between Rob
> and the ODFAuthor project. I think the ODFAuthor was in the position of many
> quasi-independent groups like the OOo NGOs and others.

It is possible that I an confused, but I think I am mainly concerned
about fragmenting the project into many "quasi-independent" groups.
I'm not absolutist in this, but I can see clear risks.

Let me give you an extreme example.  Suppose we decided to stop
writing word processor text alignment code,  Instead we relied on
group A, which owned and developed left alignment code, group B which
did all the center alignment work and group C did the right alignment
code.

(OK, the example is ridiculous technically, but bear with me please)

Because, in this fanciful example, the Apache project had other groups
own essential portions of the project, this means that anyone who
tries to put together an actual product based on Apache OOo would need
to access the three alignment libraries produced by groups A, B and C.
 This is true whether one was making an open source release, or a
proprietary release.  Whoever tries to release a version of OOo
binaries, if they wished to have a viable product (from a user
perspective) would need to negotiate with groups A, B and C, in terms
of functionality, schedule, support, localization support, etc., as
well as license.

Compare that to a situation where the core alignment code is all in
the Apache OpenOffice project, under the Apache 2.0 license.  That
gives downstream users of our releases, open source and commercial,
the maximum flexibility to repackage the release.  They can add code,
subtract code, do whatever they want.  But we don't send them to track
down dozens of 3rd party dependencies owned by other organizations.

Another example, with translations.  Suppose the translation files for
OOo were owned by a bunch of different groups and were not part of the
Apache project, under the Apache license.  Then, if someone wanted to
take the AOOo sources and make a special version, say a Portable Apps
version, or a special educational version, or whatever, then they
would need to negotiate access with external groups for their
translation files.

I think we need to be careful about this kind of fragmentation since
they prevent downstream consumers of our releases from making
effective use of our releases.  It hurts the downstream ecosystem.

I think we should have a clear idea of what the essential, core
OpenOffice product is, and ensure that those parts of it are developed
in the AOOo project, under the Apache 2.0 license, and under PMC
oversight.

Of course, there may be parts that are not essential, core release
components, and those could be done anywhere.  In fact, we should
encourage extensions, additional documentation, plugins, etc., as part
of the overall eco system.  That is a good thing.  But we need to have
a clear idea of what the core is as well, and ensure that the core is
developed in one place.