Let me see if I can help ground this.

Currently, digest algorithms are used for a variety of things.  The common case
is SHA1.  These are not themselves a concern, as I understand it, since their
function is not directly related to encryption even though they come into play
in the use of encryption methods.

There is no support for *document* *encryption* via asymmetric keys.  It is not
specified in ODF and there is no way to do it in current implementations as far
as I know.

There is *password-based* *document* *encryption*.  The current default
procedure generates a 128-bit (symmetrical, of course) key via PBKDF2 using
HMAC-SHA1 and encrypts using Blowfish with 8-bit CFB.  There are provisions,
for ODF 1.2, to generate wider keys and use PBKDF2 with "rng" methods other
than HMAC-SHA1.  Substitutes for PBKDF2 and Blowfish are allowed but I don't
know the status of any implementation-dependent variations in OpenOffice.org.
I believe there are extensions in the builds but they are not currently enabled
in the standard distributions.

There is support for digital signatures using PKI methodologies and those do,
of course, use *asymmetric encryption* as part of the signature procedure.  We
need to catalog what those flavors are that are accepted and that are produced.
 Implementations are allowed considerable license in this area and we need to
inventory the actual support in OpenOffice.org.

It is not clear to me that the asymmetrical encryption used for digital
signatures is a concern, but it is useful to have all of these methods profiled
and catalogued concerning their implementation in OpenOffice.org.
Comprehensive profiling of digital signature provisions is required to ensure
interoperability in any case.

I am not aware of any other cases. There are proposals for some modest but
valuable modifications in ODF 1.3 and as possible implementation-dependent
introductions in products supporting earlier versions of ODF.  Any such
implementations would need to be identified too, although none of those I am
aware of introduce additional encryption algoritms.

 - Dennis