On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
<and...@pitonyak.org> wrote:

> On 09/06/2011 10:04 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> It couldn't have been all that bad if you spent so much time volunteering
>> on those boards. -Rob
>
> The problem is that the forum was setup years ago by a single individual who
> is too busy to maintain it. The forum software is very old and the spammers
> trivially create accounts and post spam. I am tired of deleting multiple
> spammer accounts every day knowing that I cannot do a thing to stop it....
> and the one person that can make a change to stop it does not have the time
> and will not hand over control so that someone else can. Well, that is not
> entirely accurate. I believe that the forum is hosted in a location that
> others CANNOT have access because this would then allow access to other
> things (if that makes sense). Regardless, the result to the forum is the
> same. Sure, people go there and post. I found, however, that if I do admin
> work there, then I take so much time doing admin work, that I have no time
> to answer questions, work on my books, etc.
>
> Some moderators were burned out and asked to be removed. At that point, I
> researched how to control the spammers and the owner said that he would
> upgrade to the latest forum software. That was months ago.
>
> Did you know that every couple of years the forum disappears because the
> domain name is not renewed?

Thanks for sharing the history on this.  It is useful (I think) to
understand the history of this community and what they've been through
in the past, what problems they've encountered and overcome.
Obviously Apache is not the same as any previous situation they've
been in, but it is probably important that we avoid inadvertently
*appearing* to look like any previous problem they've encountered.

-Rob