On 9/23/11 4:39 PM, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
Sp2is still widely used and installed in low specs computers in developing
countries where no licensed copies of MS exist (and where the use of
unlicensed copies of software is not illegal). These computers are a part of
OOo's market.
Sorry if I am missing something, but why wouldn't these people use an
unlicensed copy (cracked if necessary) of the "real thing", i.e. MS
Office, then, if it is not illegal?

Imagine trying to convince them to use OOo: "OK, I see you are using
an unlicensed copy of Windows, oh well, that is legal in your country,
and MS is evil anyway, so I don't mind. Now, look at what I have here,
lovely office software which is almost as good as MS Office, and it
doesn't cost anything! And it is Open Source! Don't you want to use
it, please? Please?"
Hi Tor,

Yes you are missing something ;-) You are assuming here that MS Windows is better than OpenOffice. In this case it is a wrong assumption.

In Cambodia, for example, OpenOffice is in the local language (Khmer), it has a nice spell-checker, sorts words correctly in Khmer, uses Khmer dates, and it is mandatory in the education system.

Why would you want to use MS Office in English (sorry, no Khmer, formats or spell-checker) in your Windows XP SP2, when you can use a program that it is easy to learn, it is in your language and it helps you write? ;-)

Cheers,

Javier

--tml