Hi Martin,

On 21.09.2011 13:56, Martin Hollmichel wrote:
Hi,
- get rid of dependence on instmsiw.exe and instmsia.exe
also this will iirc have some dependencies wrt system requirements, what
do you consider as minimum Windows baseline ? I would be fine with a XP
System SP2,

I would alse be fine with Windows XP SP2 as the minimum Windows
operating system as it is already stated in the building guide for
Windows -
http://ooo-wiki.apache.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows

-- I did not find any reference to these files in the sources.
They come from the installer SDK,

As I can see on my system (Windows 7) the files instmsiw.exe and
instmsia.exe are no longer included in "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
Express" or "Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008"

I also did not see that these files are included in an OOo
installation set, if they are copied into ../external/msi/.

Searching for information about the Microsoft Windows Installer -
namely these executables - results that
- the Microsoft Windows Installer is part of the Windows operating
system since versions Windows 2000 and Windows ME.
- for previous Windows versions (95, 98, 98 2nd Edition) the Microsoft
Windows Installer has be manually installed. As far as I know these
Windows version are no longer supported by OOo. Is this correct?

Thus, I concluded that these files are no longer needed.
Does anyone has further information?
I would think this depends on what version of the installer we depend,
on my windows xp system I have Windows Installer 3.01 available, on my
Windows 7 there is version 5 available. As always, some testing on the
baselines is required.
To my knowledge, just the creation of .msp (patches and service packs)
requires a recent version of the installer, so if avoiding this the
removal of the instmsi?.exe may be ok,

Yes, once I have a corresponding patch ready we have to check it on the different Windows platforms.

Does the current version of Apache OpenOffice allow the creation of patches and service packs?

Best regards,
Oliver.