While I don't quite grok what you are having issue with
regarding mdtext pages,  I can give you an example of how
to link to some named element within the current page:

    [Link text](#name)

where "name" is the id or name of the element you want
to link to.

More generally I've explained a few more of the UI design
elements just now at

    http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref#organization

The CMS build scripts really don't need much explaining
as they don't actually contain very much rendering logic themselves,
all that information is in the per-project site's trunk/lib/path.pm
and trunk/lib/view.pm.

HTH