On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Rony G. Flatscher
<rony.flatsc...@wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:
> On 06.11.2010 16:09, Mark Miesfeld wrote:
>
> send me the file as an attachment.  Just send it to my g-mail account,
> or open a bug and attach the file to the bug.
>
> Unfortunately, that is not possible. One can mark a single line, but
> pressing ctl-c would not copy the marked line to the clipboard. Trying to
> select all (ctl-a) does not work, nor a section (select first line +
> scrolling to the end, pressing shift-click).

Well, that's a NSIS thing that can't be changed.  If you right click
on the details window you get a context menu with only one item.
Which is: Copy Details to Clipboard.  If you select that menu item,
then the entire contents of the details window is copied.  You can
paste into a file.  I think it is meant to be a convenience.  You
don't have to first do a select all and then do a copy.

> The "Create rexx.exe file association" check box *must* be checked.
> If it is not checked, no file association will be created.  This could
> be your problem, the check box has to be checked.
>
> Oh, this was not clear to me at all!

Well, it's hard to write text that takes into account every
conceivable scenario.  If the text is too long, 95% of the people
reading it, tune it out.  (As will happen with this e-mail. <grin>)

On the "Associate file extensions with ooRexx ..." page it says: Check
the check box to have the installer create file associations.  The
following pages will allow you to *specify* which associations are
created.

Then in the next pages you specify which associations you want.  It
seems entirely conceivable to me that someone would want to associate
rexxpaws with all their programs.  Therefore, if the "Create rexx.exe
file association is unchecked, that association is not created.

By leaving the "Create rexx.exe file association" check box unchecked,
you are specifying that you do not want the association created.  That
is the standard Windows interface behaviour.  Checking a check box
means do what the check box label says, unchecking the box means do
not do what the label says

If someone goes through the pages and leaves every check box
unchecked, then no associations are created.

In your case, once 4.1.0 got installed one time without the .rex
associations, then the next time you did the uninstall / install cycle
the check box would be set to unchecked.  Because that is what was
done during the previous install.

How 4.1.0 got installed the first time without associating .rex is the
only question here.  Once that happened, then what you describe
happening on every install past that, makes sense.

> If there is a connex between the
> "Create Windows file-extensions" and this option, then maybe you could have
> this option checked by default and filling in the default "Extension:" and
> "File type name:" ?

Well, it does.  But - once you do an install of 4.1.0 and later, then
these are filled in with what you did during the previous install

> Running the install another time, this time checking "Create rexx.exe file
> association" shows an empty field for "Extension:" and an empty filed for
> "File type name:".

Yes, because that is what was done during the previous install.

> Supplying an extension is not really clear (with leading dot or not? Entered
> ".rex"),

If you do not enter the dot, when you leave the page, it will prompt
you for the dot.

> also it is probably not clear what to enter for "File type name:"
> (I entered "RexxProgram" instead of "RexxScript").
> Maybe you could supply
> defaults in the input fields as a guidance to the users?

It says  in the sentence above the check box: By default in Open
Object Rexx .. the Rexx interpreter, rexx.exe, is associated with the
.rex extension using the file type name of RexxScript.

The edit controls are labeled "Extension" and "File type name"  I
don't really know what could be more clear than that.  Although, I do
realize that it may not be clear to some people, I don't know how to
be more explicit.

I, literally, have run the restructured installer hundreds of times,
and could not break it.

If you have the time to play with the install a little bit and can
come up with a repeatable scenario that shows a problem, I'd love to
have you open up a bug.

1.)  Rerun the install program now that things are set the way you
want.  Do not check the "Upgrade type" of install check box.  You will
(should) see the file associations options pre-set to what you already
have.

2.)  Uninstall your current ooRexx through the Control panel or
through the uninstall menu item in the start menu, first, before you
run the install program.  Then when you run the install of 4.1.0, you
will (should) see the  "Create rexx.exe file association" checked and
the edit controls filled in with the defaults.

3.) Uninstall completely and install 3.2.0, (or 4.0.0, or 4.0.1.)
Then run the 4.1.0 install.  You will (should) see the "Create
rexx.exe file association" check box checked and the edit controls
filled in with the defaults.

4.) Run the 4.1.0 installation program again after you have installed
4.1.0 one time.  Do not check the "Do upgrade type" of install.  Then
change all the options to anything you want, different than what you
really want.  Then run the install again, don't do an upgrade type,
and you will (should) see all the options pre-set to what you did on
the first install.

Now, setting the options to whatever the user did on a previous 4.1.0
or later install, is open to debate.

Maybe the options should always be set to the default.  But, I don't
think so.  Setting them to the previous options is most likely to be
correct.  It's called "preserving the user's preferences" and is
usually thought to be a "good thing" in user interfaces.