I have very mixed emotion about the current rxsock library. Let me just
list some thoughts in no particular order.

- The rxsock library is extremely complicated to use. You have to really
know how sockets work in order to use it. There is not a high-level
interface to it which is why I wrote rxsock.cls.
- I think there might be a big difference between Windows and Linux
users of rxsock, but I am not sure I can explain why. It is just a
feeling I have.
- Sockets are hard, and do not let anyone tell you differently. The
rxsock library hides some of that complexity by just not allowing you
access to it, like datagrams, udp, etc. You only get access to the TCP
protocol from rxsock.
- Although IPv4 and IPv6 use mostly the same APIs, there are differences
in the data structures that are passed to those APIs. Thus it makes it
harder for the users of rxsock to differentiate between IPv4 and IPv6 if
the ooRexx function calls stay the same since we hide the data
structures from the user.

At this point I am leaning towards the creation of a class library for
sockets to support IPv4 and IPv6. This would not replace the current
rxsock library but would be made available for the ooRexx users to
migrate to eventually. I think this could make sockets much easier to
program. We could use the rxsock.cls as a starting point to figure out
how it should be organized and what methods should be available.

David Ashley