With a bit more info from the ISP .. I think I can solve this; so for now,
no need for anyone else to spend time on this!

Well, I was wrong, but am homing in on the problem using a modified
rxftp.cls (rxftpx.cls).

A quick question: how do I 'refresh' a class .. that is, have ooRexx use a
modified version after I have made an experimental change?

At present, if I edit the .cls file the next time I use the Rexx program
that requires it the old version continues to be used (until I reboot
Windows, in which case the change takes effect).

Q:  So .. how do I get ooRexx to use the modified .cls file without
rebooting Windows?

Mike