For those Evergreen sites that are using the "New User Created Welcome Notice" action trigger, you could also add something to the template telling users how to enable the checkout history. Since they will be on a device or at a computer when they read the e-mail, they could just then follow the link to their account to immediately enable it.

Kathy

On 10/19/2017 10:53 AM, Geoff Sams wrote:

We’ve created a document that stays in stock at the front desk that our staff are trained to hand out that details how to enable checkout history. This allows those that want to use the feature the option to do so without much trouble.

Those that are less able will always get help enabling the feature.

We try to let people know up front about that option, it doesn’t always happen but we do try.

Thanks,

Geoff Sams

Library Manager

Roanoke Public Library

817-491-2691

*From:*Open-ils-general [mailto:open-ils-general-boun...@list.georgialibraries.org] *On Behalf Of *Elaine Hardy
*Sent:* Thursday, October 19, 2017 7:54 AM
*To:* Evergreen Discussion Group <open-ils-general@list.georgialibraries.org> *Subject:* Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Reading History opt in on patron application

​

​​

​From ALA's statement on privacy:

"In all areas of librarianship, best practice leaves the user in control of as many choices as possible. These include decisions about the selection of, access to, and use of information. Lack of privacy and confidentiality has a chilling effect on users’ choices. All users have a right to be free from any unreasonable intrusion into or surveillance of their lawful library use." http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom/librarybill/interpretations/privacy

There may also be local and state laws that govern how a patron opts out of something that effects their privacy.

Rather than creating a potential avenue that would compromise patron confidentiality, I think it more appropriate to train front line staff to inform patrons of this functionality and give them instructions on how to utilize it. If the patron then needs further assistance, it can be given.​

J. Elaine Hardy

PINES & Collaborative Projects Manager

Georgia Public Library Service/PINES

1800 Century Place, Ste. 150