Hi Frank,

May I also suggest an alternative for iSCSI target? We had a very good
experience with open-iscsi and NexentaStor [1]. At the beginning we had
problems with single-threaded traffic latency but the ultimate fix was
on Linux side to ensure that io scheduler is set to "noop":

# echo noop > /sys/block/sd*/queue/scheduler

Once set, we saturated physical networking connection with small block
sizes in single-threaded scenario.

NexentaStor also is very good candidate for CIFS workgroups/AD
environments with the whole SMB stack implemented in the kernel, which
boosts performance over the top. And as far as iSCSI target - I would
recommend to use COMSTAR, which is ZFS integrated in Nexenta [2].

[1] http://www.nexenta.com/products
[2]
http://blogs.nexenta.org/blog/2009/03/03/nexenta-iscsi-with-comstarzfs-integration/