Hi Li,

Thanks for comments.

Benjamin Li wrote:

>> 2. Use set_net_config callback to configure SNIC using vendor provided
>> library.
>> 3. Do the necessary code changes in various module to integrate the
>> whole functionality without need of any extra user space daemon.
>> 4. Get rid of ISCSI_NL_GRP_UIP netlink message and use
>> ISCSI_NL_GRP_ISCSID instead. Move the netlink processing in nic_nl.c
>> into netlink.
>
> Correct, it is safe to remove ISCSI_NL_GRP_UIP because we could then
> rely on ISCSI_NL_GRP_ISCSID instead.  netlink.c::ctldev_handle() would
> need to be modified to handle 'ISCSI_KEVENT_PATH_REQ' and
> 'ISCSI_KEVENT_IF_DOWN'

I have already modified netlink.c::ctldev_handle() to acknowledge these
messages and provided a wrapper nic_nl.c::nic_process_iscsi_kevent_req()
to do further processing, but it need to be cleaned more.

> Could you also send all the .git directory containing all the metadata?
> This way I can see all the commits that you have made to your tree?

No problem, will do that.

>> B. Extend iface files to include following options
>> "iface.nic_lib = vendor_lib.so"
>> "iface.nic_dev = /dev/uioX"
>> "iface.nic_args = additional SNIC specific args"
>>

> Could we remove the option 'iface.nic_dev = /dev/uioX'?  The option
> 'iface.net_ifacename' should be enough to determine the uio char path.
> 'iface.net_ifacename' will tell iscsid what network interface to use.
> Then iscsid could scan all the entries /sys/class/uio/uio*/device/ for
> the file entry net:<net_ifacename>.  If there is a filename match then
> iscsid has found the correct uio char path used to open the uio device.
> This should simplify the configuration file or prevent conflicts with
> the 'iface.net_ifacename' parameter.

Yep that will be fine.

>> D. I have introduced new directory offload under open-iscsi for
>> following purposes.
>>
>> open-iscsi-head/offload
>> open-iscsi-head/offload/vendor_lib => holds vendor specfic UIO library
>> open-iscsi-head/offload/niclib => holds generic nic module
>> open-iscsi-head/offload/uip => the uIP stack module
>> open-iscsi-head/offload/uip/apps => holds various uip based module to
>> provide dhcp and other functionality.
>>

> Should these directories be placed under the 'usr' directory since they
> will be linked with iscsid?

I don't have preference over this, I used the initial layout because it
seems more clean to me. But yep related code is going to be linked with
iscsid anyway.

Going through the cnic lib I found that to serve the iscsi_path_req,
there is cnic_nl.c::cnic_arp_send, IMHO wouldn't it be more nice to have
ARPOP  handling in uip, which in turn can queue the packet for TX
through nic indirection ?

Regards
Rakesh Ranjan