On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 09:34 -0700, Mike Christie wrote:
> Michael Chan wrote:

> >> Correct, it is safe to remove ISCSI_NL_GRP_UIP because we could then
> >> rely on ISCSI_NL_GRP_ISCSID instead.  netlink.c::ctldev_handle() would
> >> need to be modified to handle 'ISCSI_KEVENT_PATH_REQ' and
> >> 'ISCSI_KEVENT_IF_DOWN'
> >
> > This will be an ABI change.  The 2.6.31 kernel today is using the 2
> > multicast groups.  If we decide a single multicast group is better, I
> > think we need to change the kernel code now.
> >
> > Mike, how do we do this?
> >

> The patch would just be something like the attached, right? If that is
> what you agree on, then we can send it now.
>
> If you guys think we need to wait and make sure it is the right path, I
> think we can wait and break ABI here though. bnx2i/open-iscsi is a odd
> driver where a good chunk is in userspace and userspace is just not done
> in my opinion (there is no code in the upstream open-iscsi package and
> distros that add code that is not upstream take on this type of risk). I
> think the scsi maintainer might allow the change. I am not sure about
> Dave Miller though. He seems more strict.
>
> Let me know what you want to do and I will ping James to make sure it is ok.

I think we should wait and keep the 2 separate groups for now.  This is
how it will work until uIP is combined with iscsid.  Even when they are
combined, it's not a big problem to have to listen to 2 multicast
groups.  For performance or other reasons, we may still want to have two
threads listening for these 2 message types.