With linux and shared libraries, you need to use ldconfig to help the os find them. As for the library incompatibility, this is going to be a 64 bit OS library versus a 32 bit OS library. The libtool guys have been discussing how to handle some of this--but they still have not come to any kind of consensus. As of now, no one has come forward to start working on any of the 64 bit os issues beyond the SGI. So unless someone is willing to undertake this or pay someone (like myself) to undertake it--I wish you luck.

David

Coincidently, I just got a similar box as a loaner for a couple of weeks
and I am seeing similar problems.  It's a dual 2.2GHz AMD Opteron system
running RHEL-WS3.0 for x86_64 with an SMP kernel (2.4.21-20.ELsmp).  It has
gcc v3.2.3 (from Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-42).  The system has an nVidia Quadro
FX3000 with the latest driver from nvidia.com for this architecture.  I
started by using the latest tarball (July 30, 2004) for OpenDX 4.3.3.  My
initial attempt was to make a build for large arena and SMP enabled as well
as with netCDF.  I had to build a netCDF library for this platform, but it
seems to work ok.  Anyway, the dx build creates an executable but reports
similar loader problems:
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so when
   searching for -lXpm
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.a when
   searching for -lXpm
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so when
   searching for -lXp
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.a when searching
   for -lXp
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so when
   searching for -lXmu
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.a when
   searching for -lXmu
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so when
   searching for -lXext
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.a when
   searching for -lXext
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so when
   searching for -lXt
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.a when searching
   for -lXt
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so when
   searching for -lX11
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a when
   searching for -lX11
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so when
   searching for -lSM
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.a when searching
   for -lSM
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so when
   searching for -lICE
   /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.a when
   searching for -lICE

I've noticed that this occurs whether it's pointing to /usr/X11R6/lib or
/usr/X11R6/lib64.  I was going to experiment with other building options
(with and without large arenas, with and without SMP support), although
I'll doubt it will matter since it seems to be just a ui problem.

I have also seen problems with hardware rendering.  A few from the sample
set seem to work fine (i.e, changing rendering to hardware mode first or
others like TextureMap).  When I run something more complex, some screen
objects are visible (e.g., Captions) while others are not (e.g., labels on
color bars).  When I rotate a 3d object, the surfaces will disappear as if
an opaque triangle colored with the background color is draw in front,
which grows with further rotation.  The problem is repeatable. Software
rendering seems ok, but I've not done exhaustive testing.  My initial guess
as to the rendering (not the loader) problem is with the driver from nVidia
(see
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=1a67d4b4573fcbe9d9001c1ef411a486&t=34005,
 for example).

As an alternative, I also tried to install the RH9 4.3.3 rpm, which works
just fine on RHEL-WS3 Intel boxes.  At installation it complains about
libxml and libpng being missing, although are there, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and LIBPATH point to the right place.  I can use --force and --nodeps to
get beyond that.  None of the executables will run, complaining about not
being able to fine libpng even with the environment variables set
correctly.

I am also open to any suggestions on either of these issues as I continue
to look into them.

Thanks.

|---------+-------------------------------------->
|         |           "Peter Connolly"           |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           lsruhe.de>                 |
|         |           Sent by:                   |
|         |           [EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           son.ibm.com                |
|         |                                      |
|         |                                      |
|         |           10/13/2004 04:27 PM        |
|         |           Please respond to          |
|         |           opendx-dev                 |
|         |                                      |
|---------+-------------------------------------->

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| | | To: <opendx2-dev@lists.berlios.de> | | cc: | | Subject: [opendx-dev] compile on 2cpu amd_64; rhel3 | | |

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Dear All,

I have been struggling for a while getting a working OpenDX
insatallation on a new graphics station (2cpu amd64 with nvidia fx5700;
latest nvidia drivers ). I have given up on sorting out the dependency
issues with the farious rpms and am trying the CVS source.

It built sucessfully built but with a series of linking errors e.g.:

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a when
searching for -lX11

After make install, dx comes up and I all the samples I have tried run
fine.

However when running a dx.net of my own I only get a blank image window
and my colour maps are also black. Even more strangly, the colour bars
in the image window are fine! It appears that the exec is doing it's job
OK and generating the data for image to plot since there is a cpu load
and I get a file full of data when I send the data plottted to export.

The exact same net works fine on all the Win2K/XP boxes we have running
the Viz version of DX.

Has any one seen this before or have any ideas where I might look to try
and sort this out?

Thanks in advance

Peter

PS
the complete list of "incompatible libraries is:

libXpm.so when searching for -lXpm
libXp.a when searching for -lXp
libGLU.so when searching for -lGLU
libGL.a when searching for -lGL
libXmu.so when searching for -lXmu
libXt.a when searching for -lXt
libdpstk.so when searching for -ldpstk
libdps.a when searching for -ldps
libXext.so when searching for -lXext
libSM.a when searching for -lSM
libICE.so when searching for -lICE
libX11.a when searching for -lX11

David L. Thompson                   Visualization and Imagery Solutions, Inc.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    5515 Skyway Drive, Missoula, MT 59804
                                    Phone : (406)756-7472