Tony,

Glad to hear your considering OpenDX. As far as other systems--I don't know of any other free VPL visualization systems.

Let me try and answer your questions.

You can dig into the Developer's Guide which has some samples and all the API's for developing custom modules. Modules are not pure stateless functions. The executive (the core memory handling/graphics engine) does do caching based on module states. For example if a module I write has a parameter named myInt and caching "all" is turned on in my module, then whenever the parameter is changed to 1,2,3,... then dx will try and cache all the outputs for that module based on the changed state. Now at some point if dx begins to run out of memory then it may free the cached states of this module and then next time the module is called with an integer that is no longer cached, then it will have to re-run the algorithm within the module to generate the output results.

To cycle through the databases, you can hook up the Sequencer module to a module such as your's and the sequencer will feed a different integer as a parameter to it over time. (It doesn't have to be an integer, you can feed it formatted text as well or use it to select a specific parameter from a specified list).

Hope this helps,
David

Hello,

I am a graduate student looking at various visualization systems to use
for my masters project.  I'm looking to see if these systems will allow me
to do a few things.

Basically, I want to create my own modules to extend the visual
programming language.  I would like to create "choice" modules that would
be connected to a number of databases.  There could be many "choice"
modules, each would connect to databases of different types of data sets.
These "choice" modules would all connect to a single "logic" module, that
allow for various operations on the different data sets.  More
importantly, it would give the ability to cycle through a series of these
data sets.  One possibility would be for it to cycle through each data set
and changing the display accordingly.

I am looking for more information about the VPL and extending the modules.
I've found sources about creating custom modules but there seems to be
some issues with these and what I'm trying to do.  The modules are pure
function without states, right?  To cycle through the databases I would
need some way to remember which data sets have and haven't been displayed.
Or a way to communicate between the "logic" module and the many "choice"
modules to retrieve the correct data set.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out if the Opendx modules have this
capability.  Also, does any one know of any good references related to
what I'm trying to do?  What about other free visualization systems with a
VPL?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony Neumann

David L. Thompson                   Visualization and Imagery Solutions, Inc.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    5515 Skyway Drive, Missoula, MT 59804
                                    Phone : (406)756-7472