Hi,

The 'users (hospitals and specially the doctors)' are contributors to the
fragmentation and
isolation that prevails in the healthcare fields globally. Other contributors
include
governments at all levels, insurance companies, regulators and judicial systems
at all levels.

Which political systems attempt to support individuals with rights, rules,
regulations that
ensure proper, sufficient, competent healthcare practiced by properly trained,
administered
and regulated Practitioners? There are some but too few.

I am mindful of the state of the healthcare industry in the US and the EU and
often debate
the differences. Setting levels of expectation at just a percentage of GDP is
insufficient.
Finding someone in the EU that will trade insurance premium payments with me is
considerably
harder to accomplish.

Yes I believe that politics plays a role in healthcare, especially since
governments are great
'allocators of resources'. Having said this I should point out that individuals
are ultimately
responsible for their governments and hence responsible for the allocation of
resources to
healthcare. We are contributors as well.

I agree that in some respects 'users (hospitals and specially the doctors)'
'get what they deserve...'. Drilling deeper into each category (hospitals and
doctors)
has convinced me that this requires modifications since individual cases point
out that
control is absent. Doctors working for US HMOs are a case in point.

Where you find the healthcare industry today is exactly where they put
themselves.
Historically they have received widespread unquestioning support which has
gradually eroded.
People understand the needs better and realize that there is a better way.

Suppliers are typically business selling products and services into an industry
that has
established requirements, needs and objectives. They have some impact on the
market
based upon the products and services they provide. Would not place them in the
key groups
of parties responsible for the current for the current healthcare industry.

The OpenEHR project is not a solution to the current state of the healthcare
industry. It does,
however, represent a trend that can place tools in the hands of Practitioners
and Patients
permitting them exercise control over information in a cost-effective and
efficient manner.

The 'users (hospitals and specially the doctors)'  are quite diverse globally.
A basic
requirement for the OpenEHR project should be adaptable structure and
applications.

-Thomas Clark