Dear Andrew,

There is a very substantial overlap between OpenEHR and EN13606.
Both technically and personally.

But there are differences.
EN13606 EHRcom is the result of an European/Australian consensus
process and can not be equated with OpenEHR.
EN13606 can be used to map to legacy systems and interact with
OpenEHR conformant systems.
OpenEHR is a much richer specification that can be used to produce an
EHR-system with real plug-and-play semantic interoperability.
Within the framework of OpenEHR it is (will be) possible to use the
CEN EHRcom extract.

For all practical purposes I consider OpenEHR as a specific
implementation specification of EN13606 with some important
additional features.
My advice is to use OpenEHR as an implementable specification and
make and use archetypes derived from OpenEHR.

The status of EN13606 EHRcom is that the parts 1,2,3 and 4 are
stable. Part 1 is final and will be published soon, I expect.
Parts 2,3 and 4 will be voted on soon and published next year.
It is expected that soon ISO will adopt these standards as well.

Your technical comments I will refer to Dipak Kalra the task force
leader.

ADL and part 2 of the EN13606 are identical.

Gerard Freriks

--  <private> --
Gerard Freriks, arts
Huigsloterdijk 378