Hi Gerard, a very useful document indeed...The approach is quite
interesting and solid; no questions mathematically (at least in my MD
mind!). I was thinking about brainstorming about finding some metrics
(logical and feasible to experiment) to test those issues. Such as:

Maintenance: comparison of lines of code during maintenance, frequency
of support requests and time to fulfill them, user satisfaction surveys,
cost figures and so on for maintenance

Interop: your points (i.e. # of interfaces to be implemented, # of
messages and schemas), number of transactions, reused fragments, number
of hops during a shared care event (i.e. how many systems particular
data (EHR extract?) travels, how many users access it and how.....

These are just initial thoughts and I am sure there are already better
ones out there. I think, seriously, such studies would be very
beneficial for community in convincing interested parties.

-koray