Dear Seref,

HL7 made serious mistakes.
They used the RIM to model the real world events and documentation
about it.

Mixing two different types of models is impossible.
The best that can happen is that in one model-world one refers to
constructs in the other world.

Models of reality.
Ontologies are models of reality and in semantic interoperability we
use them to construct lists of codes, labels and descriptions.
Because of the ontology we are able to make inferences, to express
knowledge behind the lists of codes, labels and descriptions.
Because of the ontologies we are able (eventually) to make
applications more intelligent and kind of let them reason.

Models of documentation.
EN13606/openEHR and HL7v3 CDA are models that help people document
data and information.
It helps them archive, exchange and re-use.
All data and information stored, is stored with all contextual
information and meta-information about the documentation process.
Models of documentation store data and information in named chapters,
sections, paragraphs.
They allow users to write complex sentences, using documentation
patterns humans agreed upon.
They use words from dictionaries (coding systems, terminologies,
classifications and code lists).
They never map to ontologies. Should never map to ontologies and vice
versa.

Any attempt to try to map Ontologies to Syntax structures is bound to
fail.
It is squaring the circle.

Gerard

-- <private> --
Gerard Freriks, MD
Huigsloterdijk 378
2158 LR Buitenkaag
The Netherlands

T: +31 252544896
M: +31 620347088
E:     gfrer at luna.nl

temporary
Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov
1755