Two issues are being conflated herre.
1. Standards
The sole purpose of a standard is to guarantee interoperability but, to achieve
this, the standard itself must satisfy certain criteria. These criteria are
well illustrated by documents such as the old Whitworth standard for nuts and
bolts. This defines the way in which the dimensions of nuts (diameter, threads
per inch, etc.) and those of bolts must be
specified, this definition being both:
a) formal enough for the manufacturer to be able to prove that his products
satisfy their specifications and
b) necessary and sufficient to guarantee to the purchaser of a nut or bolt that
it will fit the bolt or nut she already has.
Unfortunately, few, if any, of the 'standards' in Healthcare meet these
criteria.
2. Language
Languages, both natural and formal, can be described at a number of levels
depending on the purpose of the description. For mere transmission of the
symbols, we use lexical definitions. To identify significant strings of symbols
(i.e. to parse), we use syntactic definition. To interpret the intended meaning
of such strings (i.e. to compile), we use semantic definition. These levels
suffice for the formal languages. For natural languages, we need a further
level of description that includes the social context of the utterance, this
being known as 'pragmatics', a term was by Charles Sanders Peirce who also
named the entire field of language description and analysis, at all those
levels, as 'semiotics'.
Computational techniques have made huge inroads into semiotics in recent years,
particularly up to the level of semantics, but pragmatics is still a dark art.
Ontologies (another term coined by Peirce, who also did the original work on
ontology definition, as Sowa himself acknowledges) provide some leverage but,
since there can be no universal ontology, and the composition of disparate
ontologies is not computationally feasible, only those communities who can
identify with a common ontology can benefit, and as this identification is
always merely temporary, later dissatisfaction with its implications is
inevitable.
I hope this is not seen as too pessimistic. There are effective ways of dealing
with these problems but only if we learn how to include the subject, and the
subject's models, in our models. The 'objective' forms of analysis that have
been so successful in engineering simply will not suffice.

--
__
Prof Bernard Cohen, Dept of Comp Sc, City Univ, Northampton Sq.