Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 00:30:16 +0000
From: thomas.be...@oceaninformatics.com
To: openehr-technical at openehr.org
Subject: Re: Why is OpenEHR adoption so slow?

    Here is a wiki page for governance discussion -
    http://www.openehr.org/wiki/display/oecom/Community+Governance

    Bob Mayes is a great guy by the way, he worked for many years in
    Zimbabwe.

    - thomas

    On 05/11/2010 01:21, pablo pazos wrote:

      Hi Thomas,

      I see we agreed in much of the points, I hope to see other's
      visions.

      Governance is a good issue to discuss with the community, but I
      can't see any governance if the OpenEHR boards are distant from
      the community, and do not understand their real needs. What I was
      really talking from the begining of this discussion is that
      people, institutions, and goverments have needs that OpenEHR can
      satisfy, but at the same time, OpenEHR as a whole is not aware of
      their needs, or is not taking actions to do something.

      There are a lots of ways of funding, just yesterday, we had an
      event here in Uruguay of ICT developments in healthcare (we showed
      our Open EHR-Gen Framework and people was amazed about the
      concept), there was a man called Bob Mayes from AMIA, and their
      are launching a subarea called GHiP to build and support
      communities that solve problems in healthcare informatics (with
      funding from Rockefeller and Bill Gates foundations, tehy have a
      buck or two :D). GHiP may be a good place to find some cash to
      build a governance program to the regional OpenEHR communities,
      and to support development and objective acomplishment in those
      communities.

      The governance program must have an item on how to spend the
      funding, and this item must be agreed by the community.

      It'd be a good idea if we create some section on the web or the
        wiki, where we can write some thoughs on the governance subject,
        also we can put some governance ideas from other communities,
        discuss them, and see if the community agree them. Again,
        without the involvement of the boards, this will be a
        dead-before-born subject.

           Again, I think we can build some money to improve
            the tools, like making courses, events (like the IHE
            Connectathon), selling books, t-shirts, coffe cups, etc
            (donations are always welcome). I'm against a paid
            membership, it closes a community that claims to be open,
            this is not a gym :D

          well, its why we never did
            that. I think your ideas are good, the only concern I have
            is that I think there still has to be a sufficiently strong
            central part of the organisation to help organise materials,
            resources, and run the governance structure; at the moment
            there is not enough funding to do what would be needed to
            support local orgs.

           But I would very
            much like to see openehr.cl, .br, .uy, etc.

            Just an idea: I think the Service Model is very green yet,
            but when it go a little more mature, we can make automated
            tests to test the implementations, and they can have an
            OpenEHR certificate that the software meets the
            specification (a paid certificate).

          we can already test with XML
            schemas. You are right, the service models will be a key
            basis for conformance testing, but it will take some more
            time to get the required maturity.

      Atte.

      A/C Pablo Pazos Guti?rrez

      LinkedIn: http://uy.linkedin.com/in/pablopazosgutierrez

      Blog: http://informatica-medica.blogspot.com/

      S?gueme en twitter: http://twitter.com/ppazos

              Thomas Beale

                  Chief Technology Officer, Ocean
                    Informatics

                Chair Architectural Review Board, openEHR
                  Foundation

                Honorary Research Fellow, University College
                  London

                Chartered IT Professional Fellow, BCS, British Computer Society

                Health IT blog