Bert,
The rule you reference says nothing about concrete types. As far as I am
concerned the items element is satisfying this rule.
You are welcome to change the schema in your system as you see fit just as
linkEHR have done, but I suggest any additional element declarations are
done in a different namespace otherwise you will be producing incompatible
instances.

I am still not understanding you issues with this element other than
styling. If you have any technical issue please raise a jira issue.

Heath