I knew that question was coming ;-)

Firstly, how would you detect an inconsistency? It can only be done by a
human being, or else a quite sophisticated piece of software. Now, what
does it mean if there is a difference?

Firstly they are not quite 'duplicates'. The narrative is a directive to
a human agent to do something, in a slightly coded language that is
supposed to be understood unambiguously by the author and the reader.

The structured representation is just that - a structure representing
the medication order activities, timing etc.

If they don't say the same thing it could mean:

  * the software that created the structural representation has an
    error, and creates structures different from the clinical intention
  * the software that created the narrative has an error, and created a
    different text from that required by the clinician

As for any other data in the record, there is no 100% guarantee that any
of it is right. The correct comparison is not just between the two, but
between both of them and the original clinical intention, which is the
reference. This comparison will only be made during testing, where the
purpose is to ensure the software is bug-free.

In routine use, inconsistencies probably won't be detected - the doctor
will just assume the software works properly. So it's just a question of
making sure the software works properly...

- thomas