We are finalising the last details of the ADL 2/AOM 2 specifications for
a Trial release. One detail is the question of UIDs. The current AOM 2
specification shows two UIDs: provenance_id and instance_id. The former
is created at archetype creation and never updated, even with major
archetype version changes, meaning that it can always be used to track
an archetype, including all versions and copies, through time.

The latter is updated every time anything at all changes with the archetype.

*The question here is: should these two ids be mandatory in ADL 2? *I
believe they should, since they enable tooling to track archetypes and
archetype changes properly. Previously, when the specs where identified
as ADL 1.5, we had them as optional, for reasons of backwards
compatibility, but having moved to ADL 2, we no longer have this
requirement.