On 18/11/2014 12:50, David Moner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was not aware of this addition. It is clear that having these UIDs
> it will be simpler to check if the archetype has changed, as you say.
> But is it also the intention of these UIDs to be used to fill the
> archetype_id attributes in the RM instances? Or the link between the
> instance and an specific archetype will be done using the traditional
> archetype identifier+version+revision+build? Moreover, if now we will
> have unique identifiers with version+revision+build, why do we need an
> additional UID?
>
> David

Hi David,

Personally I don't think UIDs are needed; checking if an archetype has
changed is easier to do with an MD5. UIDs are mostly a distraction.

But some people and more particularly governments like them. So if we
include them in the AOM, then I guess they have to work. So making them
optional won't work - because they can't be generated from anything, you
have to 'have them' which means they have to have been created at the
right point in time, usually by the creator or modifier of some artefact.

I don't see any utility in mixing UIDs into the human-readable ID (HRID)
either in models or in data. They aren't shorter, and you can't infer
anything from them as you can with the HRID, and noone who needs to
inspect data (as inescapably happens routinely in integration
development work) can easily work with UIDs. So their utility is largely
imaginary in my view. But not everyone agrees with that....