On 18/11/2014 12:50, David Moner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was not aware of this addition. It is clear that having these UIDs
>> it will be simpler to check if the archetype has changed, as you say.
>> But is it also the intention of these UIDs to be used to fill the
>> archetype_id attributes in the RM instances? Or the link between the
>> instance and an specific archetype will be done using the traditional
>> archetype identifier+version+revision+build? Moreover, if now we will
>> have unique identifiers with version+revision+build, why do we need
>> an additional UID?
>>
>> David

Hi David,

What you refer to as version+revision+build is called
majorVersion.minorVersion.patchNumber in SemVer.
In addition you can have a "-alpha" flag to indicate that the archetype
is still unstable.
In this unstable mode a build id is necessary if you want to uniquely
identify one particular instance of an archetype - there could e.g. be
many 1.0.1-alpha (but only one 1.0.1 or 1.1.0 or 1.0.2).
This is just SemVer as far as I am aware.

So the complete revision could be e.g. 1.0.1-alpha+BUILD where build is
e.g. a UID which changes each time (in a CKM environment on each
upload), even if nothing else in the complete revision number changes.
Thomas has called this build uid instance id in his initial email.

Cheers
Sebastian