Daniel,

my fault - didn't read the front page properly - the things we need are mooted for next release. But now I agree with Diego...

The expression constraint "< 404684003|Clinical finding|: < 47429007|Associated with| = < 79654002 |Edema|"

 * http

<http://snomed.info/ecl/%3c404684003:%3c%3c47429007=%3c%3c79654002>://snomed.info/ecl/%

<http://snomed.info/ecl/%3c404684003:%3c%3c47429007=%3c%3c79654002>3C404684003%3A%3C%3C47429007%3D%3C%3C79654002
   <http://snomed.info/ecl/%3c404684003:%3c%3c47429007=%3c%3c79654002>

that is seriously unreadable. In a different universe, we would have hoped for something like:

http://snomed.info/ecl/<404684003:<47429007=<79654002

but of course that is illegal in URI syntax.

In terms of what we put in archetype bindings, I start to wonder. Could it make sense to allow:

 * proper URIs for single terms, value set refs, module refs etc (all
   the URIs that only include a single SCT code)
 * post-coordinated expressions in their syntax form
 * constraint expressions in their syntax form

where the latter two would be understood as standing for their equivalent URIs? That's an awful hack though.

A more consistent argument would be to revert to not using URIs in bindings, and use just codes and expressions.

The problem with doing that is that the ID concept URIs include useful things like /id, /module, /field, etc.

If we just go with the kind of URIs like the above, archetype bindings will cease to be self-documenting. I am starting to think we need an expression syntax that covers all of:

 * single term references, including to SNOMED codes, modules,
   versions, ....
 * SNOMED post-coordinated expressions
 * SNOMED constraint expressions
 * and... the equivalent for non-SNOMED codes, e.g. LOINC, ICDx, ICF,
   etc etc

We still don't have a universal terminology referencing mechanism, but it's what I think we need. It could in theory be achieved with the use of a new 'terminology' scheme space, thus:

< 19829001|Disorder of lung| <http://snomed.info/id/19829001> and < 301867009|Edema of trunk| <http://snomed.info/id/301867009>

becomes

terminology:/snomed-ct/ecf/value="< 19829001|Disorder of lung| <http://snomed.info/id/19829001> and < 301867009|Edema of trunk|" <http://snomed.info/id/301867009>

(I won't try to work out the nicest syntax, let's just say we agree that we could find one)

This would allow URIs of the form

terminology:/loinc/xyz/something-loinc-ish

and so on.

The sole purpose of a terminology scheme space might just be to establish a universal id space whose ids are readable, structured strings, that can be machine-converted to real URIs for SNOMED, but also LOINC, ICDx, HL7, and all the other terminologies.

- thomas