On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Vernon Adams <v...@newtypography.co.uk>wrote:

> Yep.
>
> I'll use Coda served from Adobe's Edge webfonts service as my example, from
> https://edgewebfonts.adobe.com/fonts#/?nameFilter=coda&collection=coda
>
> So from e.g. that page, i can obtain the Coda fonts by using the Developer
> tools of my web broswer. Not sure if this works for all browsers, but i'm
> using Chrome so it does…
>
> The page's  Resources are exposed in the Developer tools and i can see the
> url of the Coda Regular font, it is;
> data:font/opentype;base64,<i've cut the sqillions of lines of base64
> encodingt>
>
> That link kicks Chrome into downloading a single file called 'download' to
> my local machine.
> I then add the file extension '.woff' to that file, to create
> 'download.woff'. It's a base64 encoded woff font file.
>
> I can then use this font file, or… i guess i can use it?… can i share it?
> What should i call it? can i use it on my own server within a css
> @font-face rule?
> I would like to print with it too… but it's a WOFF file, so more practical
> if i convert it… can i convert it into an opentype (OTF) file format? and
> print with it? Can i share that OTF? What can i call it?

It sounds like what you're fundamentally interested in here is a browser
feature; akin to the manner in which (most?) browsers offer a  "View Image"
/ "Copy Image Location" / "Save Image As" option in the right-click menu.
Obviously they don't *have* to do that; that's their choice.  And I can see
how it would be extremely helpful if you visit a page and notice something
interesting about the fonts -- particularly if you like one but think you
might want to modify it.  That's a lot more steps than is required to save
and edit an image file, and image files are subject to just as much creator
copyright protection as fonts.

I'm not sure how much could be done in the font *file* itself to simplify
that situation if the browser exposes no convenient options to the user,
though.  You can already provide URLs to the user in metadata; it's just
not accessible, right?

So I guess I'm asking whether the answer isn't to open feature requests in
Firefox & Chromium?

Nate

--
nathan.p.willis