Greg Woodhouse wrote:
> Aren't we missing the larger issue? Proper certification of health
> information systems is going to be expensive, and that is probably
> unavoidable. Moeover, someone is going to have to bear the burden of
> that cost. I'm not sure that this question should really be tied to the
> certification model, though. One issue is primarily technical: How do
> we determine that this device or system is safe? The other is a
> business question: Who's going to pay for it?

This gets back to the statement I just made about open source software
development always being part of a business process.

Some "personal business processes" won't support certification (e.g. you
develop health care software as a hobby, but are poor).

Other "personal business processes" will support certification through
"passion"(you have a really good job, develop health care software as a
hobby, and can pay for it).

Some real business processes will support certification just fine.  IBM
or Sun Microsystems might justify certificaton costs, for example to
sell more hardware.

And other business processes will excell at certification (your company
is a pure services open source development company).

Richard