Actually, Box Blurs are no more efficient than Gaussian on GPU hardware due to the inability of shaders to perform "incremental" operations from pixel to pixel. Both are implemented by convolution kernels and N multiplies per pixel in the first horizontal pass and M multiplies per pixel in the second vertical pass (where M and N vary by radius/size of the blur and number of box passes)...

                        ...jim

On 4/1/14 2:16 PM, John Smith wrote:
Sounds like your issue isn't in fact the blur, but, if it were, some things
suggestions are:

   1. BoxBlurs are more efficient than GaussianBlurs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_blur
   2. Apply some of the suggestions from the openjfx Performance Tips and
Tricks page:
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Performance+Tips+and+Tricks

Anecdotally, applying the Performance Tips and Tricks allowed smooth animations
on a 2012 MacBook Air with a full-screen blur.

-----Original Message-----
From: openjfx-dev [mailto:openjfx-dev-boun...@openjdk.java.net] On Behalf Of
Jeff Martin
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 11:17 AM
To: Mike Hearn
Cc: openjfx-dev@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: Expected frame rates for a full-screen blur

I assume retina optimization was added for JFX 8 (or is on the short list). I
think there is a Jira for it.

You can choose a non-retina resolution by going to display preferences and clicking the "Scaled"
radio button and selecting something to the right of "Best Resolution (Retina)". It used to be that
you could option-click the "Scaled" radio button to get a real list of choices, but now you can
only get that with a 3rd party resolution tool (I think).

jeff