Some of this was looked at while trying to solve RT-17716 <https://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/RT-17716> (see Martin's patch).

I think it would be worth considering relaxing the restriction on constructing Scene and Window (maybe Stage, but I don't think there is a benefit for that one), but it seems that Martin ran into some issues with his specific patch.

-- Kevin

Richard Bair wrote:
Hi,

Actually I don’t know of any reason why Window and Scene cannot be created and
initialized on any thread. Each of these has a peer, and the *peer* we can’t
update except on the right thread (or with care, these are OS specific
restrictions or issues). But I don’t see any reason why the Java side cannot be
initialized on any background thread. And in fact, that was always my intent
for exactly these reasons, having experienced all this pain in Swing before
firsthand.

Its just work that needs to be done, contributions welcome :-)

Richard