My internet provider has problems sending to GMail addresses.

For me it worked to register to scene.getRoot().

I like registering to a node, because it allows to install different menu's to
different nodes, but still do the most common approach of install a single menu
to the top level pane.

Your code already uses addEventHandler, I adopted that.

Tom