On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM, David Hill <david.h...@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 7/10/14, 10:40 AM, Jeff Martin wrote:
>>
>> That's not what Bill Gates or Steve Jobs said.
>
> To be fair - both of those guys are trying to build an ecosystem - not just
> an OS, but an OS and tools and products layered on top of it. They want to
> create an environment that you want to come to and spend $$$.
>
> Oracle's bottom line is about Big Data and the appware in the middle of it.
> That middle ware uses several technologies for graphical display and JavaFX
> is just one of them. Unless you are a middle ware customer, you probably
> have not seen any of them, because unlike MS Word, or Apple ITunes, they are
> not usually seen by the general public.
>
> It certainly would be nice to have more JavaFX applications (real apps or
> even good demos) as it would help showcase the capabilities. Jasper has
> whipped together some interesting demo apps over the years for JavaOne
>
> Any suggestions on good demo apps for small boards (Pi, i.MX6) ? (Existing
> or otherwise).

No offence but it is exactly those apps that I am not talking about
because while they may help to demonstrate how to do things to a
beginner, they do not contribute to the platform becoming mature and I
have yet to see one that really impresses me when compared to examples
of uses of other state-of-the-art software. Having the next 2-1/2D
Raspberry mini game certainly won't convince many people, who make the
decision which technology their company will embrace for their next
product, that JFX is a stat-of-the-art platform just as Jasper's 3D
examples won't. Honestly, I _want_ to move to JavaFX and I am trying
to convince my business partners to consider that and I asked them to
look at what's available on the web and most of what you find is those
demos. The reaction was really something like "technology looks OK but
they cannot be serious about making the case with those demos when
developers are used to the respective resources by Apple (iOS, OSX) or
Google (Android)" and quality problems worrying them, which currently
is my main concern as well (stuff like RT-37533, RT-37501, RT-37372,
which I ran into not while porting a complex application to JavaFX but
in just three days of building mini sample applications that use UI
features that we currently use in our Swing app).

My point is that acceptance of JavaFX by more companies making quality
products they make a living on, is vital for JFX, if it is not
supposed to remain a niche or academic technology which it currently
most likely is (while it absolutely has the potential for more).
Netbeans being a huge product and Swing being a legacy technology not
being an option for another 10 years I just thought, I'd ask if that
one in-house product would become a flagship real-world "demo".