On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 16:04 -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> Zach Welch wrote:

> >> Yes, I would ask that folks *try* out the CMake support.
> >>

> >> I think they have the potential to help some  Windows folks who might
> >> get roadblocked at cygwin requirements.
> >>

> > If I can talk you into updating it to matching the new CFLAGS used by
> > the autotools, agree to help keep all build scripts in sync, and answer
> > questions to help others in the community learn how to do the same, then
> > I endorse the addition of your CMake patch as an alternative to the
> > autotools-based build system, contingent upon inspection of the final
> > version of the patch that you want to have committed.
> >
> > Does that sound good to everyone?
> >

> Zach,
>

> 1) Nothing on this list sounds good to everyone.

Touché.  Despite my endemic cynicism, I can't help but be an optimist.

> 2) My request was that folks try the support, not that they be committed.

That's fine.

> 3) Somebody simply needs to try the patches, one person at a time is
> sufficient.
>
> 4) I won't be the only supporter of the scripts if they are tried by
> enough folks, its that simple.

If you meant s/tried/used daily/, the I agree completely.  But what if
the users don't come?  As long as you acknowledge the possibility that
it might not last, if it turns out to cost the community too much.

Personally, I do not think that will be a problem, so I am just trying
to cover all of the angles for the project.  Open source was made for
experiments like this, so why not give it a shot?  Maybe I could put
"collect observations and write an article covering the qualitative
analysis of two build systems" on The List?  Who does PR here? ;)

Okay, maybe I have "left the box" with these ideas, but it's a thought.

Cheers,

Zach