First of all, I'd like everybody to stand up and give a big hand to Spencer
who's through his efforts has saved OpenOCD from a slow torturous demise!

Why was Gerrit introduced?

In some ways nothing has changed when we switched to Gerrit.

Before Gerrit, OpenOCD maintainers had stopped lifting patches into git.
I've tried to recruit new maintainers, that too. The existing process had
failed catastrophically. This is not a matter of policy or opinion,
it's a fact.

What's changed with Gerrit? OpenOCD maintainers still don't lift patches
into Gerrit.

Same thing, except with Gerrit contributors (or anyone) have the option
of lifting patches into Gerrit themselves.

Things have improved infinitely after we introduced Gerrit. Patches
are now being submitted again.

However, the maintainers won't stop there. We've introduced a build
server(Jenkins) that builds all patches and checks for warnings, etc.
automatically so contributors can weed out all those nits before anyone
look at their patches.

Who knows what percentage of fixes to OpenOCD that ever make
it into the repository. 10%? 5%? 50%? With Gerrit we've raised it
from 0% to n%.

Again! I'd like everybody to give a big round of applause to Spencer who's spent
the time fixing the OpenOCD process by reading up on and setting up the
Gerrit+Jenkins server!!!!

--
Øyvind Harboe - Can Zylin Consulting help on your project?
US toll free 1-866-980-3434