Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> "-1" is too harsh in the case of the J-Link libusb-1.0 patch.

I think it fits, because:

> I think some changes are necessary.

This is what you say with -1. You don't think this should be added
exactly as-is. It can sometimes be nice to use the comment field in
addition to inline comments, to expand a little in general on the
chosen scoring and what needs further improvement, if that isn't
clear from inline comments already.

-1 isn't "Never ever" but rather "Not yet". The "what is missing" has
to be explained manually, which I think is a very important step.
(Ie. writing concrete comments, as you did.)

I mean, there is no point to try to create a multi-choice selection
that will have one option for every case, because every change will
most likely need different fixes.

It's important for both contributors and reviewers to remember what
+1 and -1 each means; +1 says that the change should be included
exactly as it is, and -1 says that you want something to be improved
first.

Also remember that the score is only for the patch set, and not for
the entire change. After the commit has been changed locally, and a
new version of the commit has been pushed, it will be shown as a new
patch set, and that patch set will receive a new score.

//Peter