One nice thing about merge conflicts is that it tells you right away
if a variable you've changed has been modified (e.g., the variable
name changed), so you can correct it immediately instead of wondering
why feature X isn't working any more.  But I guess there'd be a lot of
false alarms, if comments near the variable or the variable's default
value change in SVN.

One final idea: instead of config/*.ini.example as I originally
suggested, have a config/ directory (empty) and config.example/*.ini.
Then users can copy config.example/foo.ini to config/foo.ini and make
changes there.  Essentially the same idea, but copying files instead
of renaming them.  Just trying to avoid having to have users keep
their modifications in a monolithic .ini file.

Jeff