Jeff Ames wrote:
> One nice thing about merge conflicts is that it tells you right away
> if a variable you've changed has been modified (e.g., the variable
> name changed), so you can correct it immediately instead of wondering
> why feature X isn't working any more.  But I guess there'd be a lot of
> false alarms, if comments near the variable or the variable's default
> value change in SVN.

Yeah, it's a nice idea but I think those false alarms are the problem.  The
first time that a conflict happens the
user's installation will probably stop working due to conflict markers in the
.ini file.  I have to predict that people
will change these .ini files directly without reading documentation first.

Another solution I would propose is to name these files *.ini.example in SVN
(or *.ini-dist a la PHP) and go back to
using built-in defaults that match these files.  I know this goes against what
I said before about duplicating settings,
but I couldn't think up a good solution that uses live .ini files and meets my
particular concerns.  If a user wants to
override the built in defaults then they copy *.ini.dist to *.ini or add to
OpenSim.ini.

At least this way, sophisticated grid operators tracking SVN might be happy
since they no longer need to merge *.ini
files.  And individual users using OpenSim in standalone or hypergrid modes
will also be happy since it will be clear
how to override built-in defaults and they won't suffer merge conflicts if they
are tracking SVN.  I still think that
overriding settings only through OpenSim.ini is too complicated compared to a
simple copy and edit that keeps the
setting in a single place.

This solution would require that we have more discipline than before in keeping
*.ini.dist files aligned with built-in
settings.

> One final idea: instead of config/*.ini.example as I originally
> suggested, have a config/ directory (empty) and config.example/*.ini.
> Then users can copy config.example/foo.ini to config/foo.ini and make
> changes there.  Essentially the same idea, but copying files instead
> of renaming them.  Just trying to avoid having to have users keep
> their modifications in a monolithic .ini file.
>

> Jeff

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com