James Dickens wrote:
sorry this is opensolaris, and not the ON distrobution, sun doesn't
have the right to pick the  "gate keeper" of a community without a
discussion on the subjec and possibly a vote, this seems very
underhanded. I value sun choices for my OS, but I have found sun's
choices for opensource software to be lacking, It is time to increase
choices and keep the community growing not for sun to steam roll the
community.

I for one will not support a community of freeware that is created
without a full discussion and a vote.

James Dickens.

Hi James,
We are no picking the gatekeeper of a community. The open source software community will still continue to have its de facto leaders (sunfreeware, blastwave, etc. etc.). Steve Christensen will be merely looking after the gate of the Sun companion CD. This is complementary to the open source software packaging community - NOT a replacement for it.

This will not be "the one true community of freeware". This is just a way to get Sun's existing freeware-source-base (e.g.: the companion CD) out there and into the community. I expect that Dennis, Steve, and whomever else will work on growing and developing this community in public. It is not Sun's intent to steamroll the community..

cheers,
steve

--
stephen lau // [EMAIL PROTECTED] | 650.786.0845 | http://whacked.net
opensolaris // solaris kernel development